Monday, October 7, 2013

Journal 1

Van Keuren, D. (2012, May 29). [Web log message]. Retrieved from http://flippedapush.blogspot.com/

Summary: Flipping the classroom has a lot of myths surrounding it and the author of this blog goes through the myths and debunks them.  What started his rant, was that while on the College Board Website, someone suggested that a flipped classroom was just a way to do less teaching and have the students do all the work.  He believes that a teacher who flips the classroom the correct way, in ways, is doing more work.  Coming up with genuine learning activities that involve higher order thinking skills require more work than just "standing in front of the class and vomiting content."  He goes on to counter the arguments that the flip classroom is about the videos,  the kids won't watch the videos, a flipped classroom is a "fad", and the flipped classroom is the end all be all of education reform.

Q1:  Where can I find more information on how to flip my own classroom in a meaningful way to achieve a higher order of thinking?

A1: I could look online at the College Board website to find threads about flipping the classroom in a APUSH setting.  I can also look on the internet for teachers websites and contact them directly if I know what school they teach at.  Of course they would have to be open to sharing their material.

Q2: How could I prove to my administration as well as colleagues, to approve and acknowledge that a flipped classroom is a worthwhile experience that benefits the students.


A2: I think to start off, I would have to find some data on students achievement and if it would helped improved their AP exam scores.  I also think that this article only talks about videos in the flipped classroom and I believe there would have to be more more than just videos to make it work.

1 comment:

  1. I find your blog interesting. When you quote the person who says that correctly flipping a class requires more work, I wonder if it leads to more learning than in the traditional classroom, regardless of the "more work." I have my doubts about the strategy; however, I understand the merits of this form of teaching. This blog makes more want to go out and learn more about this teaching style.

    ReplyDelete